The Amhara Region Media and Journalists Association (ARMA) was established seven years ago in 25 August 2013 as a result of the media institution and journalists initiation. Hence, the Amhara Region Media and Journalists Association (ARMA) is one of the civil society organs of the public that is mandated to carry out media professional’s media and communication responsibilities conferred to it by regulation no.194/2012, Article 63(1). The first licensed issued in 25th August 2013. Amhara Region Media and Journalists Association includes their member by medium (Radio, TV, print and online); by ownership (state owned, Private and Community) and by Profession (journalists and communication graduates).
Amhara Region Media and Journalist Association includes State owned public media organizations (eight Amhara mass media radio, Tv and print medium, ENA, EBC), community radio stations (nine community radio stations : fenoteselam, Debermaokoes, Woldia, Kemissie, Kommbolecha, Sekoeta, Gondar, Debere Tabor, Debere Berhane, Dessie), correspondents (VOA, BBC and DW) Radio, private media stations (two Fana FM) and Four Educational Mass Media, 64 private multimedia productions and Online media site.
To date over 767 journalists and communicators have participated in association. More than 3 million birr generate from membership payment, donors, and special events of the association.
The association supports the media and communication professionals.
The following missions are delegated to the office:
- Building professionals capacity,
- Creating Dialogue of media,
- Host Media and Communication research workshop
- Doing Media and Communication research
- Consult and advocate media and communication related issues
- Publish media and communication review
- Facilitate the Media Reform,
- Empowering citizens in Accurate flow of information
- Combating Disinformation, Fake news and Misinformation
- Promoting democracy and Free Media
- Enhance smooth flow of information
- Facilitate the process of building a society enriched with information and actively participate in the country’s affairs and, in particular,
- Facilitate the creation of equal opportunities for peoples’ and sectors of the society that need special support in accessing information,
- Enhance the responsiveness of the Government to the needs of the society through maintaining an efficient and effective communication and information system that serve government organs and the public sector as a whole;
- Promote awareness of the opportunities that the developmental democratic system has brought to the country, and how to fully access them;
- Create national consensus on the basic principles and values of the free press, free speech and free sprit framework as well as the democracy interests of the public;
- Promote the expansion of modern, accessible and diverse media.
Our vision is to see a free, independent journalists in the vibrant and enabling media environment which promotes dialogue between communities, regions and population groups to secure peace; contributes to social and cultural development by providing information, education and entertainment; and enhances democratization and prosperity by attractive and reliable reports, education and entertainment used to pursuit these goals.
Our mission is to stimulate and secure a free, independent and dynamic media which endeavour to fulfil the interest of the people, providing access for every citizen, enabling us to participate fully and freely in the exchange and debate about information, visions and decisions concerning social, cultural and political processes at the community, regional and national levels so as to build a just, peaceful, and prosperous nation founded on respect for equality and diversity
Activities of the Association
The association activity covers the following major area in the region and the country:
- Build journalists Capacity, Skill in training
- Doing media and communication related research,
- Publish Bi annual online and print research Journal of Ethiopian media and communication,
- Defend Journalists Right
- Host annual National Media and Communication research.
It also covers the Social Media.
The 2014 annual budget of the association is 3 million 300, 000 Ethiopian Birr.
Account Balance 2. 1 Million Birr
It is collected from generating money
We are working with
- Thomson Reutors Foundation UK
- Pace Media Project
- Canadian Institute of Mass Communication
- African News Channel
- Aleme children support organization
- African Environment Journalists Switzerland
- Radio Netherlands Training Centre